What's Bugging Me

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Ouch

What was said:

Him: Your skinny friend with the dark hair from across the lake is going to lead the homeowners and start an association for the people who live on the lake.

Me: Who?

Him: (last name)........

Me: Oh - (first name)? I didn't know she was skinny.

Him: Oh yes, she's quite thin.


What I heard:

Him: Your skinny friend with the dark hair - you know the beautiful one - and you know, you're not skinny at all, fat cow. I wish I was married to someone like her.

Me: Who?

Him: (last name)........

Me: Oh - (first name)? I didn't know she was skinny (I think she was actually pregnant the last time I saw her)

Him: Oh yes, she's quite thin. And YOU'RE NOT. Cow. She's had kids too. Why don't you look like that?


Of course, it's all in my head. There was nothing malicious in his comments. How could he possibly have known that this girl is who I wanted to be in high school? She's beautiful, nice, has a great voice (both speaking and singing), and is (apparently still is) thin. Still, was the word "skinny" necessary in the description? And why does it hurt so much?

Anyway, I did what most fat wives would do. I took a hot bath and cried for 45 minutes. Then I got out, put on my PJs, went to bed, and cried myself to sleep. And he has no idea.

1 Comments:

  • *hugs* I would probably have 'heard' something similar. But I swear I recall seeing pics of you and the kids, and you're not fat!

    By Blogger Milenka, at 6/20/2006 7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home