What's Bugging Me

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My Mother Gene is Broken

I'm not sure what is wrong with me. I think my "mother gene" is broken. Every time I read about a mother crying all day when she has to go back to work, or the mom who can't stand the thought of leaving her child for a few hours/days, or the mom who is so worried about her child going to school - I wonder what the hell is wrong with me?

I didn't cry buckets of tears when I brought my kids to daycare. I'm pretty happy when I can get a few hours (and twice a year a couple of days) to myself. I can't *wait* for Jake to start kindergarten in 2008. Although, we *are* holding him a year to start when he is 5 turning 6, instead of when he could go at 4 turning 5. We make the cutoff by 5 days, but I don't want to burn a year in school for 5 days. I prefer to have him be one of the older kids and the leader, rather than the youngest and a follower. And college - he should already be 18. So, yes, we're keeping him from school a bit longer, but for purely selfish reasons. ;)

Anyway, back to the brokenness of my motherhood... Am I just cold-hearted? Too old to be a mom? What?

I do cry spontaneously when I think of how beautiful, awesome, and sweet my kids are. But, crying about the practicalities of life? Not so much.

1 Comments:

  • I feel and am that same mom. I love they go to school and enjoy those around them. I woudl be more upset if they didn't want to go. Not for me, but for them. The importance of a good social life and social skills to help them continue. I think Jake will much more appreciate the older kindergartener than the youngest one!

    By Blogger ShannonK, at 8/22/2006 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home